Friday, January 30, 2009

Know When to Say Obnoxious

Because of a delayed flight, I spent a lot of time in an airport bar the other day, but not nearly as much time as the guy on the stool next to me.

In fact, this guy had so much to drink that the bartender finally had to cut him off. Then he got angry. His slightly less inebriated friend tried to soothe things over by explaining that the bartender was only trying to keep him from becoming “obnoxious.”

“I’m not obobob --,” he said.

“I’m not obobobnoxxx --,” he said, giving it second chance.

“I’m not like that,” he concluded, apparently realizing that three syllables were at least one too many for him.

It was like a combination of Jeff Conaway from Celebrity Rehab and Porky Pig.

I was so entertained that I shared this story during my presentation in Orlando as an example of how not to communicate. It seemed to go over pretty well.

As for the guy, he got on the same plane as me, but I never heard a peep out of him ... obnoxious or otherwise. He must have been sleeping it off.

No comments: