Thursday, April 26, 2012

It Feels Doggone Good Being Right

Have you ever told someone in a position of authority something you knew to be true, but they just wouldn’t listen to you?

When I was a kid, I was riding in a pickup truck with a friend of mine. His dad was driving. Their dog was running around in the back. I noticed the dog popping up on his hind legs as if he were about to jump from the truck.

“Your dog is about to jump out of the truck,” I warned my friend’s father.

“No, he won’t,” the father replied dismissively.

I sat in the cab transfixed, unable to divert my eyes from the impending disaster.  Finally, the dog jumped right out of the moving vehicle, just as I said he would. I had mixed feelings. Of course, I didn’t want the dog to get injured. (We retrieved him unhurt a short time later). But it sure felt doggone good being right.

No comments: