Friday, December 12, 2008

They Don't Always Live Happily Ever After

I was pondering my favorite movies the other day when I noticed an alarming trend. If you’re the lead actor in one of my favorite flicks, your days are probably numbered.

From Cool Hand Luke to One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest, the lead actors in my favorite movies don’t usually make it to the closing credits. I’m one of those guys who wished they had whacked Tony Soprano. Thinking about a sequel? Fughgetaboutit!

I’m not sure what this says about me. Perhaps, I watch movies for an emotional release … and there’s nothing more gut-wrenching than watching the lead pay the ultimate price.

Let me give you an example. There’s a move called In the Line of Fire. In it, Clint Eastwood plays the only Secret Service agent ever to lose a president (JFK). It’s the ultimate tale of redemption as Eastwood sacrifices everything to save the current commander in chief.
Of course, Clint saves the president, gets the girl and lives to fight another day. It’s a decent movie, but it could be better. To me, there was a more challenging – and perhaps more fitting – ending. In my version, Clint takes the bullet … and the Oscar!

Don’t worry. Clint got it right in another movie, Million Dollar Baby.

I don’t know why I don’t enjoy a traditional “happily ever after” ending. It’s probably my mom’s fault. After all, she’s the one who took me to Charlotte’s Web.

No comments: