Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Fine Wine

As a PR guy, I am an astute observer of human behavior, including my own. Lately, I've found myself wondering about the fate of the Meijer wine guy.

Meijer is a retail chain with a store near my home. I receive the Meijer circular at my home every Sunday in The Courier-Journal. The circular has a section highlighting wines. In the past, this section included a picture of Meijer's presumed wine expert, along with his weekly recommendation.

Meijer still publishes the circular. It still has wine recommendations. But the wine guy himself is no where to be found.

I'm not happy about it either. Even though I never met the wine guy, I guess I built a relationship with him. Now that he's gone, I've become skeptical of the recommendations from this nameless, faceless, corporate entity.

I also wonder what happened to the wine guy. Did he retire to the paradise of his own little vineyard? Was there a disfiguring cork accident?

I guess we'll never know until the wine guy resurfaces, perhaps at Costco or Wal-mart. In the meantime, I have just one question: Can anyone recommend something under $10 that goes well with pasta?

No comments: