Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Must-See TV -- NOT!

I recently read an article about Rachel Maddow, the shrill host of "The Rachel Maddow Show" on MSNBC.

In the article, Maddow says she doesn't own a television. I guess that's a quaint PR story -- the TV host who doesn't watch TV. But I don't believe it for a minute. You can't tell me Maddow doesn’t own a television. Perhaps it’s tucked in a secret compartment behind one of her opera posters.

Either way, I don’t trust people who make a point of telling you that they don’t watch television. What they’re really trying to say is this: “I’m far too intelligent to pay attention to such boorish things.” In other words, they are letting you know that they are smarter than you.

Of course, the truth is you don’t have to dumb it down to watch television. You can watch Brooke Hogan, if you want. But you can also watch plenty of highbrow stuff on The History Channel, PBS and HBO.

I like to watch both.

But I am going to cutback … at least whenever Maddow’s show is on.

No comments: